Front Page

The 'Zine

Sunsphere City

Bonus Track

Market Square

Search
Contact us!
About the Site

Ear to the Ground

Comment
on this story

Now There are Two

Following Al Gore's lead, mayoral candidate Bud Gilbert announced Tuesday that he's dropping out of the mayoral race "for a combination of campaign, professional, and personal reasons." Though he began his "New Thinking For Knoxville" campaign for the city's top office early this year, punctuated with a flurry of vigorous election-day visits to the polls last month, the attorney and former state senator apparently thought he faced an uphill battle against well-heeled businessman Bill Haslam and former county commissioner Madeline Rogero.

Gilbert's withdrawal has many implications. One of the most obvious is that with only two major candidates left, the mayor's race will likely be decided in the September primary rather than the November general election.

Don (Hearts) Jack

Governor Don Sundquist made his final appearance at Jack Barnes' annual Christmas luncheon Tuesday. Sundquist, however, will probably be back at Kerbela Temple for the Barnes fest next year, since he will be moving to Blount County when he leaves office next month. Sundquist took the opportunity to salute the irascible Barnes by declaring "If you've got Jack Barnes, you don't need another friend."

Barnes, who has been at odds with Mayor Victor Ashe for years, has been a devoted Sundquist supporter. Barnes was also honored by County Commissioner Howard Pinkston, who read a proclamation from County Executive Mike Ragsdale honoring Barnes as a Tennessee "Colonel." Barnes was moved by the gesture, and told the gathering that "This county executive's been here for three months and does this, and here I am working for the city and I don't think they even recognize me. I wish the mayor had been here to see this..." Barnes' boss, city Fleet Services director Mel Cummings, did not appear to be amused.

Most of the current City Council showed, as did the ever-present ex-Council member Jean Teague. Joe Bailey, who lost out on a City Council seat last year by 31 votes, was present, as was Chad Tindell, who is running for chairman of the Knox County GOP.

Back to the Future?

City Councilman Larry Cox, who is term limited out of his North Knoxville district seat, is thinking about running for one of the three at-large Council seats that will be contested in next fall's election. If he does, term-limited stalwarts of the Ashe regime could be slated for all three of the at-large seats.

Jean Teague clearly savors a return to the body. Former South Knoxville district Councilman Gary Underwood says he hasn't made any decision about running, but he's clearly considering it. That leaves Carlene Malone as the only term-limited former council member who is categorically not seeking a return to office.

The three incumbents—Nick Pavlis, Jack Sharp, and Ed Shouse—are all term-limited, so the at-large seats are up for grabs. The list of fresh faces likely to be vying for them starts with Joe Bailey and Leslie Terry, who both made impressive debuts, albeit in losing causes, in their bids for the West Knoxville district seat last year. Bedford Chapman, who narrowly lost to Steve Hall in the Northwest district last year, could also be a contender, and there will no doubt be other aspirants.

Victor Claus

Finally, a correction is in order. In last week's Ear to the Ground column, we speculated that Mayor Victor Ashe would not attend the Dec. 24 council meeting. "Wrong," a friendly email from Ashe advises. "I will be there."
 

December 18, 2002 * Vol. 12, No. 51
© 2002 Metro Pulse