Annual Manual 2001

Government: Departments

back to the Government directory


Mayor's Office * 215-2040
Save this call for when you're either at the end of your rope or ready to celebrate something in a big way.

City Council * 215-2075
This nine-member legislative body meets with the mayor every other Tuesday in the Main Assembly Hall of the City/County Building.

Department of Administration * 215-2104
If you don't know where to call, try the Department of Administration, which does both internal administration and constituent outreach, including work for those with disabilities.

City Recorders/City Council Office 215-2075
A place to check in with council business and find out about upcoming meetings.

Civil Service Office * 215-2106
Want to work for the city? Call here to learn about job openings and requirements.

Community Action Committee * 546-3500
Provider of a variety of social services and opportunities, from jobs with Americorps to assistance to the elderly through the Office of Aging.

Community Development Division * 215-2120
It's an umbrella office, so call here with questions about housing programs, neighborhood organizations, problem properties, downtown and waterfront development—the list goes on.

Community Relations Office * 215-2040
Is your scout troop, neighborhood council or interest group about to storm City Hall with ideas, criticism or praise? If so, call this office first.

Department of Development * 215-4545
This is the Weigel's Mart of development services; everything you need is here. The office links builders, architects and average Joes with everything from inspections to development master plans for specific parts of town.

Engineering Department * 215-2148
Here's the formula: technical subtleties of sidewalks, plus the logistics of bridges, added to the dynamics of drainage systems, then rounded into the city's paving program. Here's where the details are summed up and fleshed out.

Finance Department * 215-2079
Questions about the city's budget? Yes. Questions about getting a business license or paying a property tax? Yes again. Inquiries about opening a new bar to compete against Moose's for a corner on the foam dancing market? Yes and no. Foam dancing is not the "official" business of the Finance Department, but this office can help you get a beer permit or liquor license.

Fleet Services * 215-2529
You thought you had the city's parking patrol fooled but now your car is gone. These people have it. But don't worry. This office takes care of all the city's vehicles, so it's in good hands.

Knoxville's Community Development Corporation * 594-8800
Anyone hoping to find subsidized housing and other financial support services should call here.

Knoxville Utilities Board * 524-2911
Electricity, water, waste water and gas to more than 300,000 customers in and around Knoxville.

Law Department * 215-2050
Think of it as the city's own law firm. If you need some municipal mumbo jumbo translated, call here.

Metropolitan Planning
Commission * 215-2500
The Metropolitan Planning Commission sorts out where proposed developments in the city and county do and don't belong.

Parks and Recreation
Department * 215-2090
This is the fun department, overseeing rec centers, day camps, walking trails, aerobics classes, tennis courts, public parks and even the Zoo.

Police Advisory and Review
Committee (PARC) * 215-3966
Got a gripe or suggestion for the city (and only city) police? Give this liaison committee or executive director Carol Scott a call.

Public Affairs Department * 215-2065
The press release generating, public relations and public information arm of city government.

Public Services Department * 522-3101
Potholes and other street repairs, brush and leaf pickup, recycling drop-offs and any questions about the maintenance of public spaces.

Special Events Department * 215-4248
The city's coordinator for events such as Boomsday and the Dogwood Arts Festival.


County Commission * 215-2534
Like a collection of fiefdoms, Knox County is divided up into nine commission districts. District Five elects three commissioners, the other eight districts send two, giving the county commission 19 seats.


County Executive * 215-2005
Kind of like the mayor of the county, but more of an administrator and less of a figurehead.

Attorney General * 215-2515
In charge of prosecuting crimes and representing the interests of the county and state.

County Clerk * 215-2390
Administers a grab-bag office in charge of keeping minutes from commission meetings, issuing business licenses, registering car titles and granting hunting and fishing permits, among other duties.

Circuit and General Sessions
Court Clerk * 215-2400
Oversees the administration of felony arraignments, misdemeanor criminal and small claims civil cases in Sessions Court.

Criminal and 4th Court Clerk * 215-2492
Oversees administration of criminal cases passed up from General Sessions Court, and domestic civil cases.

Law Director * 215-2327
Provides legal guidance to the County Commission and represents county in legal matters.

Parks and Recreation * 215-2346
Self-explanatory, right?

Property Assessor * 215-2360
Determines the worth of taxable property such as homes, businesses, and tracts of land.

Public Defender * 594-6120
Directs a team of public defenders who represent anyone accused of a crime but unable to hire their own attorney.

County Trustee * 215-2305
Runs the office that collects property taxes.

Register of Deeds * 215-2330
Runs the office that registers deeds on private property.

Sheriff * 215-2432
Runs the office that jails people for doing bad deeds, in addition to policing the county.


Knox County offers some services that are also provided by the city, but some that are not. Here are a few good contact numbers:
Election Commission * 521-2480
Meet the referees of local politics. Want to hold public office or don't know where to vote? Call here, Knox County's political nerve center. They can tell you how to register and where to cast your ballots.

Engineering and Public Works * 215-5800
Questions about streets, bridges, wastewater management, building permits and even air pollution can be answered by different divisions of this office.

Health Department * 215-5300
This office offers a lot: Adult primary care services, AIDS prevention, special pediatric care, a communicable disease clinic, assistance with dental work, an office dealing with environmental health, help with immunizations and international travel information, education programs promoting health and nutrition, social services for women and children and documents recording local births and deaths.

Library System * 544-5750
There's the Central Library downtown, Lawson McGhee and the East Tennessee Historical Center, in addition to 16 other branches sited around the county.


League of Women Voters of Knoxville and Knox County
P.O. Box 31825, Knoxville, TN 37930-1825 * 690-0273
A non-partisan political organization that encourages the informed and active participation of citizens in government, the League of Women voters operates locally and nationally to increase the understanding of major public policies through education.