Arts and Entertainment: Museums and Historic Exhibits
back to the A&E directory
Armstrong-Lockett House and W.P. Toms Memorial Gardens
2728 Kingston Pike * 637-3163
HOURS: Tues.-Sat. 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; Sun. 1-4 p.m.; closed Jan. and Feb.
Built in 1834, the structure consists of 18th century English and American art and furniture, and Italian-style terraced gardens.
Beck Cultural Exchange Center
1927 Dandridge Avenue * 524-8461
HOURS: Tues.-Sat. 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
The center is a museum of black culture in Knoxville and the surrounding area. Tours are offered daily for all groups from businesses to schools and church organizations. For more info, visit online at www.korrnet.org/beckcec.
Bethel Civil War Cemetery
1711 Dandridge Avenue * 522-8661
HOURS: by appointment only
The cemetery was the army burial ground for 1,600 confederate soldiers. Established 1861.
200 West Hill Avenue * 525-2375
HOURS: March-Dec: Mon.-Sat. 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sun. 12:30-5 p.m.; Jan.-March:
Mon.-Fri. 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
The house is a registered national historic landmark and was home to Southwest Territory Governor William Blount and served as territorial capitol. For more info visit online at www.blountmansion.org
Children's Museum of Oak Ridge
461 West Outer Circle * (865) 482-1074
HOURS: Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sat. 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
The museum includes bird rooms with displays on birds such as the bluebird and cardinal that migrate through our area, an interactive waterworks room that shows the workings of the TVA water system, and a two-story doll house, among others. The museum also hosts special events ranging from their Fall Festival in October to their Festival of Trees from December to the New Year, which showcases Christmas trees throughout the museum. For more info visit online at www.newssite.com/cmor
Confederate Memorial Hall (Bleak House)
3148 Kingston Pike * 522-2371
HOURS: Tues., Wed., Fri. 1-4 p.m. or by appointment
The house was built in 1858 and used as the headquarters to Confederate General James Longstreet during the siege of Knoxville. Architectural gardens and antique furnishings displayed. Admission charged. For more info visit online at www.korrnet.org/cmh
East Tennessee Discovery Center
516 North Beaman Street
(Chilhowee Park) * 594-1494
HOURS: Mon-Fri. 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
The center features natural history, world culture, student art, a planetarium and six annual exhibitions from both students and adults. Admission charged. For more info visit online at funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~loganj/etdc
East Tennessee Historical Society Museum
600 Market St. * 215-8824
HOURS: Mon.-Sat. 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; Sun. 1-5 p.m.
The museum covers 200 years of history from early settlement to the 20th century. Artifacts include firearms, decorative arts, furniture, and such items as Davy Crockett's first gun and Roy Acuff's fiddle. For more info. visit online at www.east-tennessee-history.org
Ewing Gallery of Art and Architecture
University of Tennessee
1715 Volunteer Blvd. * 974-3200
HOURS: Mon.-Thurs. 8:30 a.m.-8 p.m.; Fri. 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.; Sun. 1-4 p.m.
The gallery is located in the Art and Architecture Building of the university and hosts works of renowned as well as rising artists and architects.
Farragut Folklife Museum
11408 Municipal Center Drive * 966-7057
HOURS: Mon-Fri. 2-4:30 p.m.; by appointment for groups
Housed inside the Farragut Town Hall, the museum contains artifacts and belongings of Admiral David Glasgow Farragut, first Admiral of the U.S. Navy and Civil War hero.
Frank H. McClung Museum
1027 Circle Park Dr. * 974-2144
HOURS: Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sat. 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sun. 1-5 p.m.
The museum houses a number of permanent collections, from Native American to Egyptian, as well as exhibits in anthropology, archaeology, geology, and decorative arts. For more info and current visiting exhibits visit online at www.mcclungmuseum.utk.edu
James White Fort
205 East Hill Avenue * 525-6514
HOURS: Dec. 16-Feb. 29 Mon-Fri. 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; March 1-Dec. 15 Mon.-Sat. 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
The fort was built in 1786 as the home of General James White, Knoxville's founder. The fort includes the original house and restored stockade, loom house, smokehouse, and blacksmith shop. Admission charged. For more info visit online at www.vic.com/tnchron
Knoxville Museum of Art
1050 World's Fair Park Dr. * 525-6101
HOURS: Tues.-Thurs. 10 a.m.-5 p.m.;
Fri. 10 a.m.-9 p.m.; Sat. 10 a.m.-5 p.m.;
Sun. noon-5 p.m.
KMA showcases permanent and visiting national collections, musical and other performances and workshops for all ages. Admission charged. For more info and current exhibits contact KMA online at www.knoxart.org
Marble Springs State Historic Farmstead
1220 West Gov. John Sevier Hwy. * 573-5508
HOURS: April-Oct. Tues.-Sat. 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Nov.-March Tues.-Sat. 1-5 p.m.
This farmstead, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a working structure, including farm animals. Guided tours are provided. Admission charged.
1711 Dandridge Avenue * 522-8661
HOURS: April-Dec. Tues.-Fri. 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sat. 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; Jan.-March by appointment only.
This antebellum home was built in 1858 and is listed on the National Historic Register. The house was occupied by both Union and Confederate troops and serves as a museum of family life during and after the Civil War. Admission charged. For more info visit online at www.korrnet.org/mabry
Museum of Appalachia
2819 Andersonville Highway, Norris * (865) 494-7680/(865) 494-0514
HOURS: Daylight hours year-round;
closed Christmas Day
The museum consists of a 70-acre living mountain village with authentic log structures. Also, it hosts the Appalachian Hall of Fame which recognizes those whose lives exemplify the culture of Tennessee. Crafts and antiques shop on site. Admission charged.
Museum of Science and Energy
300 South Tulane Avenue
Oak Ridge * (865)576-3200
HOURS: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily.
The museum offers interactive displays and demonstrations and hosts a special exhibit outlining the history of World War II's Manhattan Project. For more info visit online at www.korrnet.org/amse.
Old Gray Cemetery
543 North Broadway * 522-1424
HOURS: daylight hours
The cemetery was established in 1850 as part of the rural cemetery movement. These 13 acres, named for English poet Thomas Gray, contain examples of Victorian art and architecture.
2614 Thorngrove Pike * 546-0745
HOURS: March 15-Dec. 15 Tues.-Sat. 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; Sun. 2-5 p.m.; Jan.-March 14 by appointment only.
Built in 1797 and listed on the National Historic Register, this house was the first stone house in the region and home to Dr. J.G.M. Ramsey. The site consists of 18th century architectural features, gardens, and period furnishings. For more info visit online at www.korrnet.org/ramhse/
Roy Acuff Union Museum and Library
3824 Maynardville Highway
Maynardville * (865) 992-2136
HOURS: Mon. and Tues. 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; Sun. 12-5 p.m.
The museum features artifacts and memorabilia about and from the late great country musician who started his career in Knoxville.
Sequoyah Birthplace Museum
Highway 360, Vonore * (865) 884-6246
Volunteer State Veterans
Memorial Hall of Honor
8030 Dodson Road * 577-0757
The Hall documents the history of our state's past and present war veterans.